History of the General John P. Holland Chapter
The General JP Holland Chapter has its beginnings with the Northern San Diego County Chapter of the Military Order of World Wars. which was organized on June 20, 1962 at the Del Mar Officers Club at Camp Pendleton. Twenty-six potential members and guests were present at the meeting, and Col Peter McDonald, USMC (Ret) was elected Commander. Regular meetings were held at 1830 on the first Wednesday of each month at the Del Mar Officers Club. Dues were set at $8.00 annually.
In 1969 a committee was appointed to study the advisability of breaking up the Northern San Diego Chapter into two chapters, to be known as the Oceanside Chapter and the Escondido Chapter.
In 1972 BG J P Holland, USA (Ret), MOWW Commander in Chief, 1971-1972, transferred from the Santa Monica Chapter to the Northern San Diego Chapter. He passed away on October 23, 1985 and the chapter name was changed to the GEN JP Holland Chapter on March 5, 1986 in his honor.
In November 1993 the Cajon Valley-San Diego Chapter merged with GEN JP Holland Chapter and the Chapter membership nearly doubled to a total of 185.
In 1994 the Chapter, together with VFW Post 7766 and donations from members of the Community, a Veterans Memorial was designed and installed at a central location in Rancho Bernardo – Webb Park. Members of both organizations are directors of the Rancho Bernardo Veterans Memorial Association, a 501c (19) War Veteran Organization which through tax deductible contributions, is able to maintain the Memorial and purchase flags and audio equipment needed to put on three major ceremonies each year. These ceremonies are Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Veterans Day.
Congressman Randy (Duke) Cunningham (retired Navy Commander and Navy Cross recipient) dedicated the Rancho Bernardo Veterans Memorial on July 4, 1994.
In 1998 the Joseph H. Pendleton Youth Leadership Conference was established; it consisted of a 5-day curriculum at The School of Infantry at Camp Pendleton, California. The GEN JP Holland Chapter has fully supported this conference since its inception and has sponsored about 15 students per year. Students that attend the YLC are invited to a special chapter luncheon structured to recognize their participation in the YLC. NJROTC Instructors, students and parents, and guests are also invited to attend.
History of the Military Order of world Wars
The Military Order of the World Wars’ (MOWW) founding resulted from General of the Armies John J. Pershing’s request that his officers continue serving America after their active military service ended following World War I. Since MOWW was established in 1919, MOWW members (“Companions”) have lived by the Military Order’s motto, “It is nobler to serve than to be served.”
MOWW serves America’s youth by hosting Youth Leadership Conference (YLC) programs throughout the United States—at no cost to high school students attending. These students receive patriotic education on leadership in a free society, free enterprise system concepts, principles of democracy, the Constitution and Bill of Rights, and civic responsibilities associated with preserving American rights and freedoms. Students also develop speaking, writing and leadership skills which help them be better citizens and future leaders. MOWW’s YLC curriculum is annually accredited by the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP).
MOWW also sponsors awards programs for Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) and Junior ROTC cadets (JROTC) , the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) and the Girl Scouts of the USA (GS-USA). Additionally, MOWW formally honors those who excel in the national security, homeland security, and law and order arenas. Finally, MOWW hosts “Massing of Colors” ceremonies in conjunction with Flag Day, the Fourth of July, Memorial Day and Veterans Day.